How to Help Pets Affected By Hurricane Harvey
SPCA of Texas
One of more than 100 cats evacuated to the SPCA of Texas from The Cattery Cat Shelter in Corpus Christi.
Hurricane Harvey has dumped unprecedented amounts of rainfall across a wide swath of coastal Texas and into Louisiana, displacing thousands and causing impassable flooding in many areas. As the rain continues to fall, numerous organizations are already on the ground providing relief efforts, including several seeking to care for and evacuate pets in the affected areas. For those looking for ways to help in the aftermath of the storm, here are a few shelters and rescue organizations accepting donations to care for an influx of displaced and rescued pets:
- Austin Pets Alive! — This rescue had brought in more than 300 animals as of Monday, and were expecting to evacuate up to 1,000 by the end of the week. They are currently seeking funding to purchase supplies for the animals in the coming weeks and accepting applications for both dog and cat fosters. See the organization’s website for more information and a full list of their current needs.
- SPCA of Texas — The organization is taking in pets from areas affected by the storm, including a transfer of 123 cats from The Cattery Cat Shelter in Corpus Christi. They are seeking financial and in-kind donations, as well as foster homes.
- Animal Defense League of Texas — This shelter in San Antonio is accepting donations and accepting foster applications to care for displaced pets. They’ve put together an Amazon wishlist of their most-needed items.
- San Antonio Humane Society — SAHS is assisting with pet evacuees, offering emergency assistance and temporary housing. Further information and ways to donate are available on their website.
Shelters directly in the path of the Hurricane Harvey will likely need some extra help getting back on their feet, especially if their facilities were damaged by the severe weather. Here’s a list of a few organizations in the affected area:
- BARC Animal Shelter
- The Cattery Cat Shelter
- Citizens for Animal Protection
- Gulf Coast Humane Society
- Houston Humane Society
- Houston SPCA