The Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council (PIJAC) is hard at work advancing the interests of pet professionals. In addition to revamping our legislative communications, we are redesigning our website for easier use, creating issue-specific committees and launching a program to highlight socially responsible companies that give back to pets in need.
To serve our members more effectively, PIJAC has streamlined our communications to make it easier for you to stay on top of the newest bills and issues of interest to you and your business.
• PetAlerts are action items that require your immediate attention. With PetAlerts, we will ask you to take a specific action, such as call or email a legislator, attend a hearing or submit comments.
• Issue Updates are brief summaries that replace the legalese commonly found in legislative summaries. These will keep you informed of legislative and regulatory news that is important to your business.
• eNews provides a summary of all legislative and regulatory activities that have occurred over the previous two weeks. Look to these for any changes as issues make their way through the legislative/regulatory process.
• PetLetters are published quarterly and keep members informed of significant happenings and upcoming events throughout the pet industry with in-depth articles on news and initiatives.
The most effective way to impact legislative issues is for legislators to hear from their constituents. To facilitate that, PIJAC is expanding its grassroots advocacy efforts by collecting names and email addresses of all pet professionals in the United States. These lists are used to disseminate high-priority action items through our PetAlert system. The goal is for all pet professionals to make a difference on issues important to their business. Get involved today by sending your company’s lists of employees, vendors and customers to Josh Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The new PIJAC website design launches this month and will feature improved access to information for our members. The website will raise awareness and foster engagement on issues, legislation and PIJAC activities affecting the pet industry. New website features include:
• A member-only section where members can participate in committees and discussions.
• An updated map to find important legislation in every state.
• Highlighted action items, so all pet professionals can have their voice heard at the legislative level.
• The new PIJAC blog, fostering discussion on issues important to the industry.
• Simplified and enhanced search features that make it easy to find the issues that matter most to you and your business.
PIJAC’s issue-specific committees bring together experts in the field to address legislative and regulatory issues, review issues specific to their expertise and generate grassroots involvement throughout the industry. New committees include Canine, Herp, Aquatics and Zoonosis.
The Pet Effect
Pets have a profound effect on our lives, and it is our responsibility to have a positive effect on theirs. Socially responsible pet companies go above and beyond by doing good things for pets in need, whether they offer support to animals in shelters, host adoption events, fund research, help pet owners, or otherwise enhance, enrich or improve the lives of pets in need. The public isn’t often aware of the good deeds the pet industry does. The Pet Effect highlights those PIJAC member companies that care. Let us trumpet your good works to the media, legislators and the public.
Send your company’s information to me at email@example.com. This program is open to all current PIJAC members.
PIJAC will continue to work with state legislators, Congress and governmental agencies to ensure the viability of pet ownership. To keep up with pet issues across the country check the PIJAC website, (pijac.org) regularly for updates.
Cathy Calliotte is vice president of marketing and communications for the Washington, D.C.–based Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council. PIJAC provides its members a voice in state and national legislative issues through advocacy and timely information regarding upcoming policy issues that affect the pet industry, pet owners and the animals they care for. For more information, visit www.pijac.org. To attend the Pet Industry’s Top2Top Conference, visit www.petindustrytop2top.com and register today.